Monday, October 8, 2012

Kenji Tei Ramen House: Could be better


My partner and I ate at Kenji Tei Ramen House last month (or was it last August? I don’t really remember now). I read about it on Our Awesome Planet and decided to try it out.
It is a good thing that my partner, sometimes, let me try these restaurants despite his slight ~dislike on Japanese (and Chinese) food.
First thing I noticed was their ceiling. What I got from it was that it was designed based on ramen noodles. Or maybe it was just me. Haha.
Pardon me for not including the prices of the food for I barely remember them. There is also no updated menu on the internet. The one that Click The City has is so outdated. The prices of the food now nearly doubled that what they had.
Anyway, the place was packed that night. It was a good thing that there were readily available table for two people.
We ordered Cheese Gyoza for our appetizer. It had typical gyoza filling of meat and veggies. What made it different was that it had cheese in it too and came with Japanese mayo dip. It was also deep-fried. The traditional way of cooking gyoza is steaming it and then pan-frying one side to make it crunchy.
I loved it. Among all the dishes we ordered, this one was my favorite.
We also ordered Shoyu Ramen with additional hard-boiled egg. My partner and I usually shares ramen bowls as it is too big for just one person.
This also fell short of my expectations. There was nothing really extraordinary about it. It had everything you had to see in a typical ramen noodle soup. The pork slices was soft. The soup was a little underseasoned for my taste. The noodles were nice and springy.
I still preferred the ramen we ate at Ramen Cool. Too bad I did not take enough photos nor do I remember the name of the ramen to make a post for it.
We also ordered Crispy Chicken Teriyaki. Most reviews I read about the dish were favorable so I was really excited for this one.
The serving was good for 2, or 3 even. It also came with shredded cabbage, slices of cucumber and Japanese mayo. You would love the taste for your first 2 pieces but anything more than that and you would feel like its flavors were too much. Not even the shredded cabbage can balance out its taste. Masyadong nakakaumay.
It wasn’t as crispy as I though it would be but I guess it was really how it is given that it was coated with teriyaki sauce.
All in all, the food that we ordered tasted okay. You would need a lot of water to wash down all the flavors, though.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for joining BNP! Your blog has been posted! You can also vote for your favorite blogs! The Top 5 highest rated will be displayed in the BLOGS OF FAME and will be featured weekly in our Facebook page ;)

    For site news & updates, check facebook.com/blogsngpinoy

    Thank you,
    BNP
    blogsngpinoy.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! Love gyoza so much! i first thought ramen is Korean, cause of the flavors of Korean Instant Noodle I use to bought before :P


    Myxilog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm tempted to visit that place.

    Maybe I'll stay away from your blog as i might break my 20kg weight loss [ just kidding :D ].

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait, just because I am so scared to lose you, I maybe posting some health-conscious-friendly review in the future! Haha :)

      Delete
  4. if you want a website for your business contact me :D

    Playgroup Singapore

    ReplyDelete

Did this post make you hungry? Tell me what you think! :)